18,701 come out for 35th annual Bellin Run
Allan Kiprono takes No. 1 spot, 43 seconds shy of course record
GREEN BAY — A record-breaking 18,701 people registered for the 35th annual Bellin Run held Saturday morning in Green Bay, a race won by Bellin Run first-timer Allan Kiprono of Kenya with a time of 28:29.
Kiprono’s time was 43 seconds off the course record of 27:46 set in 1997 by Joseph Kimani. Fellow Kenyan and Bellin Run newcomer Lani Rutto Kiplagat, finished second with a time of 29:04.
Kiprono’s victory denied five-time and defending Bellin Run champion John Korir his bid to become the only six-time Bellin Run champion. Korir placed third, posting a time of 29:43.
Jelliah Tinega of Kenya led the women’s field, capturing her second consecutive championship in the women’s division. Her time was 32:34. Allie Woodward of De Pere finished second, posting a time of 34:18, while Benita Willis of Australia finished third. Her time was 34:35.
The race set a record for total registrants for the seventh straight year, outpacing last year’s total by 303 people, for a grand total of 18,701 registrants in 2011. The total includes all runners, walkers, wheelchair and hand cycle racers and children’s run participants.
The race also saw eight course records fall. Those records were:
• Males ages 1-9: Cameron Plate, Tulsa, Okla.: 44:07
• Males ages 10-12: Tannor Wagner, Green Bay, Wis.: 38:13
• Females ages 13-14: Bailey Wolf, Oconto Falls, Wis.: 40:32
• Females ages 15-18: Allie Woodward, De Pere, Wis.: 34:18
• Females ages 55-59: Cheryl Neumann, Milwaukee Wis.: 43:14
• Females ages 60-64: Kitty Thomas-Ciciora, Hobart, Wis.: 48:03
• Females ages 65-69: Irene Stock, Green Bay, Wis.: 49:16
• Males ages 75-99: Jerry Lardinois, Port Orange, Fla.: 53:59
The overall course records, however, did not fall. Kimani retains the men’s course record and Tegla Loroupe holds the women’s course record with a time of 31:48 set in 1999.
Other athletes invited by the Bellin Run had the following times:
• Uta Pippig, Boulder, Colo., 41:10, 3rd in age division (45-49)
• Joan Samuelson, Freeport, Maine, 38:32, 1st in age division (50-54)
• Bill Rodgers, Sherborn, Mass., 45:39, 2nd in age division (60-64)
• Elva Dryer, Gunnison, Colo., 43:10, 5th in age division (35-39)
• Lisa Rainsberger, Colorado Springs, Colo., 48:30
• Frank Shorter, Boulder, Colo., 54:54
• Max Harn, Madison, Wis., 38:54
• Bill Rodgers, Sherborn, Mass., 45:39
• Jenny Scherer, Delevan, Wis., 37:04
• Sarah Reinertsen, Orange County, Calif., 1:02:13
• Tim Young, Fredericksburg, Pa., 30:22
• Zachary Hine, South Hadley, Mass., 30:05
Another notable, Dan Held of Waukesha, the overall champion in 1996 and the last U.S. runner to win the Bellin Run, posted a time of 33:19, first in age division (45-49).
Local notables include Tyler Sigl of Seymour (29:46; 4th overall); Matthew Mroczynski of Pulaski (30:05; 5th); Jason Ryf of Oshkosh (31:50; 9th); Jessica Scott-Sigl of Green Bay (36:35; 6th overall); Hope Christie of Somers (37:21; 8th overall); and Holly Nearman of Milwaukee (37:49; 10th overall).
All results are preliminary. Official results will be posted online.
Weather conditions offered overcast skies for the start of the 8 a.m. race. Temperatures were in the low to mid-50s.
Complete Bellin Run results are available through the Bellin Run web site at www.bellinrun.com.