Free assistance to complete advance care document
GREEN BAY — It may be the single most important medical document a person can fill out, yet many people don’t have it. It is an advance care directive, a document that clearly spells out the type and extent of medical care you want should you be unable to express your wishes.
Bellin Health is supporting National Healthcare Decisions Day on Saturday, April 16, 2011 by educating the public about the need for this document.
“Every day, families are faced with difficult decisions regarding a loved one’s care, and far too often decisions are made without a clear understanding of the patient’s intentions,” explains Kari Barrett, RN, service excellence coordinator for Bellin Health. “It’s important – at any age – to have these discussions with your loved ones and document your wishes.”
An Advance Care Directive clearly spells out your wishes for health care decisions in the event you are unable to express them. It’s important to put your health care wishes in writing so those closest to you know the type and extent of care you want to receive.
Bellin Health representatives will answer questions and provide free health care directive documents at the times and locations listed to highlight National Healthcare Decision Day.
Friday, April 15, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
• Bellin Health Family Medical Center-Oconto, 203 Smith Ave., Oconto
• Bellin Health Family Medical Center-Brillion, 964 W Ryan St., Suite B, Brillion
• Bellin Health Hospital Lobby, 744 S. Webster Ave., Green Bay
• Bellin Health Family Medical Center-Ashwaubenon, 1630 Commanche Ave., Green Bay
• Bellin Health Family Medical & Wellness Center-Bellevue, 3263 Eaton Road, Green Bay
Saturday, April 16, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
• The Bond Community Center, 1201 Park Ave., Oconto
“We can’t stress enough how important it is for everyone to have an advance care directive,” said Barrett. “This is a great opportunity to gain a better understanding of what it is and does, and sets the stage for discussing your thoughts and wishes with family members.”