The Decision to Breastfeed
Deciding whether to breastfeed is a highly personal decision. But as you go about making that decision, Bellin's breastfeeding center offers some things to consider.
First, ignore the horror stories. Breastfeeding is a natural thing with many benefits to both mother and child. And while it’s true that some women—and even some newborns—have to work a little harder to get the knack of it, you can be successful. Especially with our help.
The Bellin Health Lactation Center is a resource for mothers who want to breastfeed, and our help begins even before the baby arrives. Our lactation consultants are registered nurses who’ve helped hundreds of moms gain the confidence and knowledge that leads to good breastfeeding experiences. We offer prenatal classes and personal consults at our breastfeeding center. In fact, if you want to talk to someone now, call (920) 433-3617 for an appointment.
Some Food for Thought
- Breast milk is extremely nutritious and babies digest it easily.
- Breast milk contains antibodies that bolster your baby’s immune system.
- Some researchers believe that breastfeeding may possibly reduce the incidence of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Producing breast milk requires calories, much of which comes from the fat your body stores in the last trimester.
- Breastfeeding helps the uterus return to its normal size faster. And it may decrease the incidence of ovarian cancer and premenopausal breast cancer.
- Breastfeeding is a powerful means of bonding with your baby.
For information and appointments call (920) 433-3617.