Athletes with Diabetes
More than 60% of individuals with type 1 diabetes do not participate in physical exercise. Research shows that the number one reason individuals with type 1 diabetes do not exercise is due to a fear of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). They may also struggle with episodes of hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) due to mode or intensity of exercise, adrenaline, hormones, and other stressors. Our healthcare team at Bellin Health Titletown Sports Medicine & Orthopedics will be there with you in order to optimize your ability to exercise safely including optimizing performance in athletic practice and competitive play.
Bellin Health Titletown Sports Medicine & Orthopedics continues to lead the evolution of sports medicine and now provides the only sports diabetes program for people with type 1 diabetes in the region. The individualized program will help you begin to exercise, return to your preferred exercise program, or improve your overall athletic performance with sportspecific training. Our team consists of licensed athletic trainers, physical therapists, and registered dieticians that are highly specialized in the management of type 1 diabetes. Management techniques include nutrition, blood glucose monitoring with varying modes and intensity of exercise, heart rate monitoring, and exercise recovery.
This program is for any person with type 1 diabetes having trouble with their blood glucose levels during physical activity.
The program includes:
- 90-minute consultation with diabetic team member(s)
- Comprehensive review of a take home nutrition, blood glucose, and activity tracking log prior to sport specific evaluation
- One sport specific evaluation session with heart rate and glucose monitoring using predetermined blood glucose levels from review
- Nutritional consultation
- Determination and recommendation of appropriate nutritional intake before, during, and after activity
- Additional training sessions upon request
- Navigation to diabetic management care team
Ask your physician for a physical therapy referral to our program for further assessment to see if you are a candidate.
Please call for pricing as health insurance coverage may apply and may vary.