- Ask if this is the medicine your provider ordered?
- Inform your pharmacist of any allergies and other medicines, vitamins and/or dietary supplements you are currently taking. The Institute of Safe Medicine Practices (www.ismp.org) has a "drug checker" to distinguish if your drug will work with other medicines you are taking.
- Make sure that you understand the directions on the prescription label.
- Ask for written information about possible side effects. Ask for a device to measure liquid medicines, if appropriate.
- Be sure to discard any outdated medicine.