- Make sure your provider knows about all the medicines you are currently taking - prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines as well as dietary supplements such as herbs and vitamins. Take a list of your current medicines, including dosages, with you.
- Make sure your provider knows about any allergies you have and reactions from medicines you have previously experienced.
- When your provider writes a prescription, make sure you can read it. Ask the provider to print the name of the drug on the prescription and its purpose.
- Ask if a generic brand is appropriate.
- When any of your medications are changed (for example during an office visit or after discharge from the hospital), update your medication list with any prescriptions that have been changed or new medications that have been added.