Bellin Health offers free heart health screening
IRON MOUNTAIN — Bellin Health will hold free heart assessments from 8-10 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 20, at its Iron Mountain clinic.
The assessments, to be performed by Dr. Barbara Washington, include a body mass index test, blood pressure and cholesterol checks, and an explanation of the results.
Appointments are required.
The assessments are scheduled between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. and results will be available in about 10 minutes.
Participants are encouraged to fast for 10 hours before their appointment for more accurate results, although morning medications and water are allowed.
The Iron Mountain clinic is at 440 Woodward Ave., Iron Mountain.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for people of most ethnicities in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
According to the CDC:
• Every year, about 715,000 Americans have a heart attack
• About 600,000 people die from heart disease in the United States each year – that’s 1 out of every 4 deaths
• Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women
• Cardiovascular disease costs the U.S. $312.6 billion each year
• Heart disease is preventable and controllable
For more information on Bellin Health’s free heart assessments or to schedule an appointment, call (888) 758-7373.