Low testosterone – also called “Low T”– is becoming increasingly common in men over the age of 45.
It’s time to have a conversation with your Bellin Health doctor if your sex drive unexpectedly tanks and you experience any of these symptoms:
- Low semen volume during ejaculation
- Hair loss on the face and/or body
- Fatigue and lack of energy
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
- Loss of muscle mass, especially in your arms, legs, or chest
- Increase in body fat
- Decrease in bone mass
- Changes in mood
Medical Conditions That Can Cause or Contribute to Low Testosterone
According to the American Urological Association, underlying medical conditions can cause low testosterone. Here’s a breakdown:
Treatment Options and Side Effects
Your Bellin Health doctor will give you a physical and administer a blood test. He or she will also check your PSA levels to rule out prostate cancer.
If it’s determined that Low T is to blame, you can try testosterone replacement therapy. There are several types:
- Skin gels (the most common)
- Oral inserts
What You Should Expect After Treatment
Testosterone therapy is a lifelong treatment. If you stop therapy, your testosterone levels will decrease. After therapy, you should expect to have more energy, an increased libido, improved sleep and you’ll be in a better mood. You should also experience physical changes, such as decreased body fat, more muscle mass, and more bone density.
Risks and Side Effects
- You should not undergo testosterone therapy if you have breast or prostate cancer
- According to the American Urological Association, patients with kidney, liver, or heart problems may be at an increased risk of developing edema, or water retention
- Testosterone replacement may result in worsening of sleep apnea
- Long-term treatment may impair a man's fertility.
Call a Bellin Health Primary Care Physician
If you’re experiencing “Low-T” symptoms, get the guidance you need from a Bellin primary care physician.
Call Bellin Health On-Call 24/7 at (920) 445-7373 for more information and to make an appointment.