Aerobic exercise — which is the kind of exercise that gets your heart pumping for an extended period of time — helps you feel better, look better and helps lower your risk of heart disease, as well as prostate and colorectal cancer.
Along with a heart-healthy diet, regular exercise helps you keep your body in top shape just like regular maintence keeps your car in top shape.
Do You Need More Convincing?
Here are a few other benefits of aerobic exercise, according to the American Heart Association:
- Improves blood circulation
- Keeps weight under control
- Helps in the battle to quit smoking
- Improves blood cholesterol levels
- Helps prevent and manage high blood pressure
- Helps prevent bone loss
- Boosts energy level
- Helps manage stress
- Releases tension
- Promotes enthusiasm and optimism
- Counters anxiety and depression
- Helps you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly
- Improves self-image
- Increases muscle strength
- Provides a way to share an activity with your family and friends
- Reduces the risk of stroke by 20 to 27 percent