Bellin Health Sports Medicine’s Performance Nutrition program is developed to serve competitive athletes, recreational athletes, active individuals and entire teams. Our mission is to improve the athletic performance and overall health of our population through proven nutrition strategies.
All services are conducted by our Performance Nutrition Specialist, who is a Registered Dietitian.
Why does nutrition matter?
Food provides us with an array of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc.), which are essential for overall health, athletic performance and recovery. To optimize athletic performance, research continues to reveal the importance of consuming a balanced diet. It’s important for athletes and active individuals to eat a variety of nutrient rich foods daily to replenish their body’s limited stores of nutrients. Bellin Health Sports Medicine’s Sport Nutrition services has the specialist to help you meet your nutrition goals.
Performance Nutrition Consultation
A 60-minute one-on-one consultation with our Performance Nutrition Specialist will evaluate your nutrition and then create a strategy to attain your individual performance and nutrition goals.
- Assess energy and nutrient needs (protein, carbohydrates and fat) for peak performance
- Create customized fueling plans for sport-specific goals
- Create pre-exercise, during exercise and post-exercise fueling plans
- Plan meals designed to decrease body fat or increase lean body mass
- Assess hydration needs and create individualized hydration plans
- Provide guidance on sports nutrition supplements
Medical Nutrition Therapy Consultation
A 60-minute one-on-one consultation is designed for athletes and active individuals seeking to prevent, manage and treat chronic medical conditions (such as diabetes, obesity, anemia, food allergies, high cholesterol, celiac disease and others). Our Performance Nutrition Specialist will evaluate your nutrition and health factors, and then create a customized nutrition strategy.
- Develop nutrition plans for athletes with diabetes
- Nutrition therapy for athletes suffering from gastrointestinal issues such as IBS or gluten sensitivity
- Create nutrition and supplementation strategies to correct nutrient deficiencies (e.g. iron deficiency anemia)
- Create nutrition plans for reducing cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Counsel athletes struggling with eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, etc.)
Please call 430-4728 or email Lee.Hyrkas@bellin.org to schedule your appointment today! Team & Group rates are available.
Sports Nutrition Presentations – Free
Bellin Health Sports Medicine offers an array of Sports Nutrition presentations for athletes and teams of any ability.
- Estimating fueling needs
- Tournament fueling strategies
- Meal and snack examples
- Overview of macro and micronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals)
- Fueling pre- and post-exercise
- Sports supplements
- Hydration recommendations
- Sport-Specific Presentations (soccer, football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, track, etc.)
- Grocery Shopping for Peak Performance
- Nutrition 101 – Building a Quality Diet
- Nutrition for Diabetes Prevention and Control
- Eating for Heart Health
Please email Lee.Hyrkas@bellin.org to schedule your presentation today!
Lee Hyrkas, RD, CDE, Performance Nutrition Specialist
Lee is a registered dietitian and performance nutrition specialist at Bellin Health. He specializes in provide evidence-based nutrition counseling to enhance athletic performance, as well as promoting health and wellness. In his spare time, he enjoys participating in weight training, biking, running and hiking. Lee’s goal is to assist every athlete and active individual in maximizing their athletic potential and performance.
Casey is a Registered Dietitian and Performance Nutrition Specialist at Bellin Health. Casey’s expertise and specialty interests include: sports nutrition, weight management and diabetes prevention and lifestyle management. Casey is passionate about helping athletes maximize their performance through improved nutritional strategies. She is married, has three active boys and enjoys coaching and watching her boys play sports. Casey is a self-proclaimed fitness fanatic and stays active with regular running, cycling and strength training.