Cancer Rehabilitation Program
What is Oncology Rehabilitation?
The Physical Therapy Team provides treatments that prevent and address impairments related to your cancer treatment. The goal is to help you return to full function and improve your tolerance to cancer treatment by focusing on limitations such as:
- Cancer Related Fatigue
- Deconditioning and Weakness
- Decreased Range of Motion and Flexibility
- Balance and Gait Problems
Entry into the Program
You may enter the rehabilitation program through a physician referral, or you may make an appointment yourself through direct access. The Physical Therapy Team will recommend a plan of care that is approved by your oncologist. Your rehabilitation can begin at any phase of your cancer treatment.
Physical Therapy Team
The Physical Therapy Team will help you to work through range of motion and strength-related challenges. The following services are available to prepare you for activities in your home and in your workplace:
- Manual Physical Therapy is a hands-on approach to restoring normal motion and decreasing pain
- Oncology Exercise involves stretching, strengthening, and aerobic conditioning to improve your level of fitness
- Feldenkrais uses guided movement sequences to increase your body awareness and overall well-being
- Osteopenia/Osteoporosis addresses all areas related to building stronger bones.
- Balance and Fall Assessment benefits patients who face balance problems and /or dizziness as a result of cancer treatments.
- Edema/Lymphedema is designed to help you prevent and /or treat lymphedema (excessive swelling) and provides support for those experiencing lymphedema.
The Fitness Team will create a six-month customized program that will help you to increase your cardiovascular endurance, build strength and address fatigue related to cancer treatments. The program is led by a Caner Fitness Specialist and includes:
- Initial Consultation – to familiarize you with specific programs and services.
- Fitness Assessments – to measure your cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, flexibility, balance, and your overall well-being (fatigue, depression, and quality of life).
- Exercise Prescription/Implementation – four one-on-one training sessions based on your Fitness Assessment.
- Advancement/Improvement Phase – to monitor your fatigue, activity tolerance and progression within the program.
Call for an appointment today 920-430-4888