Physical therapists will do a detailed biomechanical evaluation of your lower extremities to determine if foot orthotics and/or therapeutic exercises will benefit you.
Orthotics are custom-made shoe inserts designed to correct and accommodate biomechanical flaws of the foot and ankle. These biomechanical flaws can translate into increased stress to the bones, joints, ligaments, and muscles of the lower extremities. Orthotic treatment can restore optimal mechanics of the foot and ankle to allow the body to heal itself.
Diagnoses treated include:
- Pes planus - Flat feet
- Pes cavus - High arches
- Plantar fasciitis
- Heel spurs
- Stress fractures
- Recurrent ankle sprains
- Posterior tibialis tendonitis (shin splints)
- Achilles tendonitis
- Knee pain
- Knee and/or Hip tendonitis
- Back pain due to abnormal foot/ankle position
Each individual will be assessed by a licensed Physical Therapist. Assessment will include:
- A thorough History
- Biomechanical evaluation of the lower extremities including: muscle flexibility, strength, joint alignment, joint mobility, gait assessment, and joint mechanics.
- Electronic scanning or casting to determine the shape of your feet as indicated.
- Based on the evaluation findings of the assessment, an individualized treatment plan could include:
- Customized orthotics to correct and/or accommodate an individuals biomechanical abnormalities
- Over the counter orthotic recommendation. Our Vasyli semi-customizable orthotics are available in our Bellin Pharmacies
- Specific stretching/strengthening exercises
- Shoe recommendations based on foot type
- Specific home treatment strategies
- Possible Physical Therapy Treatment strategies.
Note: Many insurance companies will pay for custom orthotics. Medicare typically does not pay for custom orthotics. It is suggested that you contact your insurance company regarding coverage for custom orthotics prior to your evaluation.