The decision about whether to breastfeed is a highly personal one. There are a lot of health benefits to both mother and child, and it’s a natural way to nourish a baby. But “natural” doesn’t mean you’ll be an automatic pro—it’s also natural for some women, and some newborns, to need a little bit of help to be successful at it.
Lactation consultants offer support, advice and guidance to people who choose to breastfeed. They can help with painful nipples, milk supply, breastfeeding positions and other common nursing problems. They’re registered nurses who have helped hundreds of moms gain the confidence and knowledge that leads to good breastfeeding experiences. The process starts early, with prenatal classes and personal consults to prepare new mothers to start breastfeeding once their new baby arrives.
Lactation-certified nurses are available Monday-Friday at our Ashwaubenon, De Pere East, Pulaski and Iron Mountain clinics.
Schedule an appointment through MyBellinHealth
Steps to schedule:
- Schedule Appointment
- Lactation Nurse Visit
- Select your location to see available appointment times
Why It’s Worth It to Try Breastfeeding
- Breast milk is extremely nutritious, and babies digest it easily.
- Breast milk contains antibodies that bolster your baby’s immune system.
- Some researchers believe that breastfeeding may reduce the incidence of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Producing breast milk requires calories, which come from body fat—like the fat your body stores during your last trimester.
- Breastfeeding helps the uterus return to its normal size. And it may decrease the incidence of ovarian cancer and premenopausal breast cancer.
- Breastfeeding is a powerful way to bond with your baby.
Join Us for a Class
Bellin Health offers The Breastfeedign Bridge support group for breastfeeding moms and their babies. A lacation consultant facilitates the group and offers support with breastfeeding technique, positioning, pumping, storage of breast milk and tips for going back to work. The group meets on the first Thursday and third Tuesday every month. Log into your MyBellinHealth account to schedule today.
The Prenatal Breastfeeding class is ideal for pregnant moms and their support person in the second trimester. This class provides breastfeeding education to moms to help them achieve their breastfeeding goas. Go to MyBellinHealth for class scheduling.